Okay, so I have struggled with naming this blog. I chose a name when I created the blog, but it just never really seemed to fit.
Today, I was verifying the keys I found on the table were mine, and not my husband's which I tend to take when I'm not really paying attention. How do I know the keys are mine? Because one is red. Here's the story as I remember it:
One of the telling moment's in someone's life is when they get their first key to the family house. It says you're trusted, you're on your way to independence. My first key was handed to me - and I lost it. My second key (my parent's obviously have some trust here) was given to me - and I lost it. The third key (do they never learn?) my dad had made was red - "try not to lose this one". I have the same key to this day on my key ring. Although my parents haven't moved, if they ever do move or change the locks I don't think I could bring myself to remove that key. Somehow it symbolizes independence, yet a place to come back to. I guess that's how I see quilitng - a connection, warmth and something genuinely independent.
So, Red Key Quilts it is. Thanks, Dad.
1 comment:
Your dad is surprised you still have the key and his word to you...
"don't lose it, we haven't changed the locks!" Mom
Post a Comment