Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Anniversaries


Yes, today is Sesame Steet's anniversary. As a parent, I love Sesame Street - clever, funny and educational - what more could you ask for?
But, I am reminded of an interview between Bill Moyers and Carol Spinney (Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch), which was one of the best I have ever seen. When asked, Carol Spinney gave the mission statement of all mission statements: "We were just a group of people who thought we could help kids learn to read. That never changed". Wow, what a purpose in life. He went on to talk of Jim Henson's death, and how when he was asked to perform the eulogy he couldn't, unless they let him do it as Big Bird. And there he was singing "It's not easy being green" with his voice crackling the whole time. It was so genuine - it was just so Big Bird. So, I honor the people who believed they could do this - and every day show children mixed together (multiethnic, disabled, etc) having fun, singing and learning. Good for them. Today, I will channel the wisdom of Sesame Street, and hope you do too.

No comments: